Siracusa has always been one of the most famous cities in Sicily. This is because, this coastal territory was home of the biggest Greek city of all times probably, and theatre of important epic wars and historical events.
Today Siracusa, thanks to its everlasting beauty, is still a must in the classic tourist’s programs. However, the large presence of visitors and consequent high number of excursion sellers may cause confusion when looking for specific, high quality and expert-guided fishing activities.
When looking for Fishing in Ortigia for example, just walking on the deck, you will hardly find someone able to take you fishing for the proper Mediterranean gamefish. In this area lives fish as the Bluefin Tuna, Common Dentex, Pink Dentex, Amberjack, Grouper, Swordfish etc.
Fishing in Syracuse is a different story in reality. This area, located on the southern east coast of Sicily, quickly jumping into the Ionian Sea, is a productive one. Here the chances to target the fish you are looking for may be exellent. However, the season, the predators biting at the specific moment and the right guide will do the difference when fishing Siracusa.
When going for a fishing trip in Siracusa is possible to practice several techniques:
- Bluefin Tuna fishing in Siracusa is one of the best opportunity to catch the giant bluefin passing on the old route of the “tonnaras” of Sicily.
- Fishing for Amberjack is a special experience in late summer; using light equipment is possible to have epic fighting.
- Live bait fishing for Common dentex with its preparation is something to try. This usually includes two kind of fishing – as you have to catch some calamari (squid fishing) or cuttlefish to troll alive for the common dentex (Mediterranean snapper).
- Deep bottom fishing with electric reels for big eye snapper and giant groupers is another deep sea fishing in Syracuse. It is also possible to catch fish like sharks, big conger eels, scabbard silverfish, European hake and mackerel.
- Shore fishing in Siracusa or shore fishing in Syracuse is another good adventure if you do not want to go on a boat. Unique and adventurous itineraries available, for 8 hours or 24h fishing. Good selections of fish target including Mediterranean Barracuda, Bluefish, seabass, bluerunner, needlefish, saddled seabream, small amberjacks. Usually works very good with some barehanded octopus fishing. Fly fishing in Siracusa is possible if you have the right equipment with you, as most of the times you’ll find rocky shores and some wind.